Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Are You A Multi-Potential-ite?




If you have never heard about the MULTI-POTENTIAL-ITE, let's begin here.  According to Emily Wapnick, founder of Putty-like.com, a multi -potentialite is a person who has many interests and creative pursuits. Go to her website to find out more about being a creative and a multipotentialite.

When I heard Emily speak for the first time. I breathed a sigh of relief because for the first time ever, my creativity/ abilities made sense. What artist media do you work in? People would ask and I would have to give the simple answer of acrylic because it was "safe. But here is what I never say: I am a paper sculptor, a collage artist, a digital artist, digital scrap booker, art journaler, zentangler, and a paper flower maker. Do i need to add more? Do you need props for a stage play? Sure I THINK I can do that. (it can't be that hard). I work with colored pencils especially the watercolor ones, as well as ink and graphite. Do you need a Pocahontas costume? I can to that too. Water colors from the tubes and oil paints are my nemesis. I don't touch them. Although I plan to one day to take classes in each media.

I have seen some amazing artists who work in watercolors or sculpture and their work is distinct and beautiful. I thought that i had to be like them too. I thought that in order to get somewhere in the artist world; to fit in, I had to find a style. Sorry but that does not work for me. Each medium I have ever worked in eventually became not much of a challenge, so that's when I started being adventurous and trying new things.

So yes, i am a proud multipotentialite one with a lot of creative interests and adventures.

To see Emily's TedTalk click on the link below, and remember to check out her website Puttylike.com

Why Some of us Don't Have One True Calling | Emilie Wapnick | TEDxBend

 If you have read this and realized that you too are a multi-potential-ite, hoorraaayyy!!! embrace it and go be your awesome self.

Leave a comment and lets get a conversation started.

No comments:

Post a Comment